iNeedSell.com: Free online ads. Post your Ad here.

7/17/2009

Rachelle Lefevre Interview on her Stunts in New Moon


Will New Moon's action look the same as Twilight’s?
Rachelle Lefevre: It’s so much wirework. It’s so much actual doing-it. In terms of the look of it … I think Chris has approached things as it should be, a little rawer and a little more literally grounded.

I think it was very flighty in the first one, so when we were running fast it was almost like you weren’t touching the ground … I think he’s factored gravity in a little more than they did in the first film, so that might have a different look as a result.

On New Moon's underwater action:

RL: I spent six hours in a pool doing the underwater stuff. They did a really interesting thing where they did this amazing stunt with the bit where Bella gets caught in the tidal wave … I think it must have been 2,000 gallons of water in massive -- they looked like huge, rectangular cargo containers you put on the back of trains.

First, they did it with a stunt double, and then they did it with Kristen’s photo double, and then they literally, on action, pulled the hatch and she got pummeled with a massive tidal wave and you could watch underwater, which I did because I was in the pool, or you could watch in the monitor. You could literally see her spinning, they created a tidal wave, and they literally filmed until she got spit out. And when it spit her out, the cut was over.

It the stunt work scary?
RL: It’s scary for me because I don’t like heights, but there’s a really interesting thing that happens which is that I’m absolutely terrified when I’m up there, and then they go, "OK, rolling!" … It’s just one of those things that happens to you. So, as me, I’m afraid, and as Victoria I just do what they tell me to do. It’s this bizarre thing where you don’t want to get all the way up there and not do it. Failure’s just not an option, so you just do it.

How close do you come to Bella?

RL: I don’t know that I’m going to say. [Laughs] Let’s just put it this way -- she lives -- so not close enough.

Does Victoria still wear her "Kiss Me I’m Irish" T-shirt?
RL: No, I got a different outfit. Thank God, 'cause you’re wearing the same thing over and over and over again, and you’re like, I don’t ever want to see that again.

Is Victoria still barefoot?
RL: No. Stephenie gave us permission for Victoria to be wearing shoes in this one because there was so much stunt work that that would have just really jeopardized our safety.

Stephenie always has to have a reason for everything, so there was a whole conversation about why and if I should be allowed to wear shoes, and the idea was that the barefoot thing was something they all did together, the three of them -- Laurent, Victoria and James. Now it’s Victoria on her own, and she’s a hunter and she’s out for Bella, and it’s a mission. So I insisted that if I wear shoes, they be military of some kind to symbolize that I was on a mission, so I’m wearing combat boots.

On working with directors Chris Weitz and Catherine Hardwicke:

RL: The fundamental difference between Catherine and Chris is -- for Catherine, it was all establishing everything; it was literally bringing the world to life. So I think that, first of all, she’s just different as a director.

She’s very raw; she’s very high energy; everything is really, really high energy, and she really gets in there with you and sometimes, when they’re trying to quiet people on set, you look over and it’s Catherine having a conversation with one of her actors. She’s super-amazingly energized and animated. And at the same time, I think there was so much going on with having to create every little detail that you got the sense that every second of her energy was accounted for, and she laid the foundation for.

Chris is just much quieter and calmer anyways, but also I think he’s come into a world that somebody went through all that to bring to life. So I think that part of the reason he came in just a little more quiet was to sort of respect the fact that he didn’t just show up like, "OK, guys! It’s Chris Weitz’s Twilight now!" He didn’t do that at all. He respected that somebody else had laid the foundation … He’s executing beautifully, because we both feel both directed and respected in terms of what we’ve already done. We love him.

How will New Moon be different from Twilight?

RL: A lot of times when I ask fans, "What’s your favorite book?" people say Twilight. The reason I hear a lot is, "Well, it was my first entry into this world," and it’s sort of like that first bit that you can never really get back. Your first time. So New Moon is kind of like you know who the characters are, you have some idea of where it’s going, particularly if you’ve read the books, and now what you get to do is watch the real struggle.

Now, nevermind figuring out who everyone is, figuring out who the actors are with who you had in your imagination vs. who they cast. All that is gone, and now all that is set, you get to watch a really horrifically gut-wrenching love triangle. And a real struggle. It’s so character-driven. They haven’t lost any of the actions sequences … but at its heart, I do think it’s becoming a coming-of-age story, more than just a boy-meets-girl romance, which was beautiful, but not as complicated as it gets now that Jacob is really in the mix.

Are you still going to lose your head?
RL: I sort of feel like you can’t really change that. I would love to do a version of Romeo and Juliet where they live happily ever after, but that ain’t gonna happen.


6:35 PM We call it a day. Thank goodness. All this glamour is exhausting.

10:07PM Returning to my hotel post-dinner, I see Stephenie Meyer standing in the lobby. I contemplate whether to leave her alone or do my job. I say hello. She shakes my hand warmly. Her eyes are friendly. The two women constantly at her side eye me suspiciously. Their eyes, not so friendly. When I tell her I’m in Vancouver covering New Moon, the kind eyes get wide.

SM: “I’m not allowed to do any interviews." [Awkward silence] “Are you enjoying your trip?”

"Yes. Sure am."

SM: “Well, have a good night and enjoy the rest.”

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment